2.4 Lakh Gram Panchayats across the country reached out by BIS till date
BIS initiates nationwide sensitisation workshops for Gram Panchayat Presidents and Secretaries
SEP 11, 2023
The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has embarked on a mission to create awareness and promote compliance with Indian standards at the grassroots level. In an endeavour to ensure the effective implementation of government programs and schemes in villages, BIS has undertaken a comprehensive initiative to sensitize Gram Panchayat Presidents and Secretaries across the country.
BIS, the National Standards Body of India, plays a pivotal role in formulating standards and conducting conformity assessments of products and services. Recognizing the critical importance of adhering to Indian standards for the well-being of citizens, the environment, and the overall quality of products and services, BIS has initiated this outreach program.
The primary objective of this initiative is to instill an understanding of the significance of adhering to Indian Standards among Gram Panchayats and ensuring compliance to these standards while implementing government programs and schemes at the village level. It aims to promote the culture of standardization and benefits of using products conforming to Indian Standards among Gram Panchayats, who play a crucial role in the execution of various government initiatives at the grassroots level.
The Key Highlights of the Initiative are
1. 2.4 Lakh Gram Panchayats reached out: BIS has communicated to all Gram Panchayats across the country. The Gram Panchayats are provided with booklet of important and useful Indian Standards relevant to different sectors, underlining the importance of adhering to these standards while executing various state/central government programs and schemes by the panchayats.
2. Sensitization Workshops: BIS has also initiated training of Gram Panchayat Presidents and Secretaries in collaboration with state and district authorities across the country. These training programs for Presidents and Secretaries of Gram Panchayats are planned to be held at block and district levels through the nation-wide network of 38 BIS Branch Offices.
The benefits of the Initiative are:
• Enhanced Quality and Safety: By fostering compliance to Indian standards, the initiative aims to enhance the overall quality and safety of government programs and schemes implemented at the village level.
• Consumer Protection: Compliance with standards ensures that products and services meet specified quality and safety criteria, protecting consumers from substandard or unsafe offerings.
• Environmental Conservation: Adherence to standards can contribute to environmental protection by regulating processes that may have adverse ecological impacts.
• Capacity Building: The Sensitization Workshops are designed to empower Gram Panchayat officials with the knowledge and tools necessary to implement standards effectively.
• National Progress: The initiative aligns with the vision of a prosperous and progressive India by fostering a culture of quality and safety in all sectors.
• Awareness on BIS Care App: For empowering the consumers, BIS has also developed BIS Care App available for both Android and iOS Platforms. Consumers can use the app to access the information on Indian Standards, products covered under compulsory certification, list of BIS certified manufacturers, verifying authenticity of certified goods and materials, and mechanism to lodge the complaints in case of dissatisfaction, if any.
BIS has also appealed all concerned departments at the state and district levels to provide their support in facilitating these workshops, which will go a long way in strengthening the implementation of standards at the grassroots level and ensuring the development of quality infrastructure. BIS has also appealed that with collective efforts the effective implementation of standards in rural areas, safeguarding the interests of citizens and promoting the growth of our nation can be achieved.