Following guidelines are laid down for awarding Ashoka Chakra:
- The Ashoka Chakra shall be awarded for most conspicuous bravery; or some act of daring of pre-eminent valour or self-sacrifice otherwise than in the face of the enemy.
- The persons eligible for the Ashoka Chakra shall be:
- Officers and men and women of all ranks of the Army, the Navy and the Air Force, of any of the Reserve Forces, of the Territorial Army, Militia and of any other lawfully constituted forces.
- Members of the Nursing Services of the Armed Forces.
- Civilian citizens of either sex in all walks of life and members of Police Forces including Central Para-Military Forces and Railway Protection Force.
The names of the persons to whom Ashoka Chakra has been awarded during the last four years and the current year are as under:
|Year *||Names of Awardees|
|NaikNeeraj Kumar Singh, Rajputana Rifles / 57th Battalion The Rashtriya Rifles (Posthumous)|
|2016||(1) Lance Naik Mohan NathGoswami, 9th Battalion The Parachute Regiment (Special Forces) (Posthumous)
(2) Havildar Hangpan Dada, The Assam Regiment / 35th Battalion The Rashtriya Rifles (Posthumous)
|Corporal Jyoti Prakash Nirala, Indian Air Force (Security) (Posthumous)|
|2019||Lance NaikNazir Ahmad Wani, Bar to Sena Medal, The Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry / 34th Battalion The Rashtriya Rifles (Posthumous)|
*Year of announcement of award.
This information was given by Raksha Rajya Mantri Dr. Subhash Bhamre in a written reply to Shri Harish Chandra Alias Harish Dwivedi in Lok Sabha today.