President of Pan African Parliament to attend P20 for the first time
P20 Summit to explore how parliaments can effectively advance global governance
OCT 10, 2023
With little more than two days to go for the opening of the 9th edition of G20 Parliamentary Speakers’ Summit (P20 Summit), presiding officers of G20 member countries and invited countries have begun to arrive in New Delhi. Following the path-breaking declaration adopted at the New Delhi Leaders’ Summit in September, the P20 Summit brings together Speakers / Heads of legislatures of G20 member countries and guest countries to explore how Parliaments might effectively advance global governance, bringing a parliamentary perspective to governance challenges and solutions towards addressing them. The President of the Pan African Parliament will participate in the G20 event for the first time in India, following the inclusion of the African Union as a permanent member in the G20 grouping, at the New Delhi Leaders’ Summit.
H.E. Dr. Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury, Speaker of Parliament of Bangladesh arrived today at Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi. Parliament of Bangladesh is one of the special invitees for the P20 Summit. H.E. Chaudhary was accorded a warm and traditional Indian welcome by Smt. Locket Chatterjee, MP on behalf of Parliament of India.
Presiding officers of both Houses of Parliament of Australia, Senator the Hon. Ms. Sue Lines, President of the Senate of Australia and the Hon. Mr. Milton Dick, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Australia arrived in New Delhi on Saturday, 07 October 2023. The two dignitaries were received by Dr. Harsh Vardhan, MP upon their arrival.
Delegations from Republic of Korea, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia and United Kingdom are also expected to arrive today.
The 200-plus parliamentarians and other leaders who have confirmed participation at the summit include:
- H.E. Ms. Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury, The Speaker of Parliament, Bangladesh
- Hon. Milton Dick, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Australia
- Rt. Hon. Lindsay Hoyle, Speaker of House of Commons, United Kingdom
- H.E. Mr. Tajudeen Abbas, Speaker of the National Assembly of Nigeria
- H.E. Ana Lilia Rivera Rivera, Speaker, Senate, Mexico
- Hon’ble Kim Jin Pyo, Speaker, National Assembly, Republic of Korea
- H.E. Mr. Saqr Ghobash, Speaker of the Federal National Council, UAE
- Hon’ble Sooroojdev Phokeer, Speaker of National Assembly, Mauritius
- H.E. Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula, Speaker of the National Assembly, South Africa
- Mrs. Puan Tjahjani Dwirini Maharani, Speaker of House of Representatives of the Republic of Indonesia
- HE Kian Peng Seah, Speaker of Parliament, Singapore
- Ms. Francesca Lluch Armengol Socias, Speaker – Congress of Deputies, Spain
- Mr. Wei He, Deputy Speaker, China
- Mr. Hiroyuki Nagahama, Deputy Speaker, House of Councillors, Japan
- Dr. Abdullah Alsheikh, Speaker President, Shura Council, Saudi Arabia
- H.E. Sheikh Abdulmalik Al Khalili, Chairman of the State Council, Oman
- H.E. Amos Masondo, MP, Chairperson of the National Council of Provinces, South Africa
- Mrs. Marcela Guerra, President, Chamber of Deputies, Mexico
- Mr. Jibrin Barau, Deputy President of the Senate, Federal Republic of Nigeria
- H.E. Mrs. Valentina Matvienko, Chairperson of The Federation Council of The Russian Federation
- Hon’ble Ignazio La Russa, President of the Italian Senate, Italy
- Dr. Jan Anthonie Bruijn, President of the Senate, Netherlands
- H.E. Nicola Beer, Vice-President, European Parliament, European Union
- Mr. Fernando Dorado Frias, Deputy Secretary General – Senate, Spain
- H.E. Dr. Badria Ibrahim Al Shihhi, Deputy Chairman of the State Council, Oman
- Mr. Karim Abdelkarim Darwish, Member of the House of Representatives – Leader of the Delegation, Egypt
- Mr. ARTHUR César Pereira de LIRA, President, Head of Delegation, Brazil
- H.E. Dr. Ashebir Woldegiorgis Gayo, Acting President of the Pan African Parliament
- H.E. Duarte Pacheco, President, Inter-Parliamentary Union
The first Parliamentary Speakers’ Summit (P20) being hosted by the world’s largest democracy in its capacity as the G20 President is being held during October 13 – 14, 2023, at the newly constructed India International Convention and Expo Center (IICC), Yashobhoomi, Dwarka, New Delhi. The Summit is being inaugurated by Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
The ninth edition will be preceded by a Parliamentary Forum on LiFE (Lifestyle for Sustainable Development) on October 12, 2023, while the Summit itself would have four high-level sessions. The four themes on which parliamentarians would deliberate are (i) Agenda 2030 for SDGs: Showcasing Achievements, Accelerating Progress; (ii) Sustainable Energy Transitions: Gateways to a Green Future; (iii) Mainstreaming Gender Equality: From Women’s Empowerment to Women-Led Development; and (iv) Transformation in Peoples’ Lives through Public Digital Platforms.
With the theme “Parliaments for One Earth, One Family, One Future,” the Summit will also provide opportunities for fostering international cooperation, cultural exchanges and strengthening diplomatic ties among nations.
The deliberations will culminate with the adoption of a Joint Statement, urging the G20 Governments to deliver solutions to major global challenges in ways that seek to ensure equity, inclusiveness, and peace.
More information on P20 Summit:
- Ninth G20 Parliamentary Speakers’ Summit (P20) and Parliamentary Forum
- Prime Minister to inaugurate 9th G20 Parliamentary Speakers’ Summit (P-20) in New Delhi on 13th October
Join the conversation on social media, using the hashtag: #Parliament20.